The changes in colorectal cancer screening
Be insured in the future, regularly after the age of 50. Birthday invited in writing to colorectal cancer screening. The decision of the Federal Joint Committee of Doctors, health insurance companies and clinics.
For the early detection of colorectal cancer is the Insured, as previously, Tests can take on a non-visible blood in the stool and colonoscopy.
- All Insured persons are entitled to two colonoscopies for the early detection. There are discovered a mucous membrane growths, called polyps, the doctor removes this.
- Women have this claim as in the past 55 years.
- Because men have a higher risk of bowel cancer, you will be offered colonoscopy in the future, starting at 50 years instead of 55.
- Between these colonoscopies at least ten years.
- The offer is perceived only from the age of 65, is only entitled to a Reflection.
- From the age of 75 years, Doctors usually advise a colonoscopy for early detection, as the risk for complications increases.
- To have a colonoscopy, an appointment with a specialist for Internal medicine with focus on gastroenterology are recommended, so in the case of a gastro-intestinal specialist
Test on a non visible blood in stool (iFOBT)
- Women and men aged 50 to 54 years of age are entitled to an annual stool test.
- Decide Insured against a colonoscopy, you over 55 years of age, every two years, is entitled to the Test for blood in the stool.
- In an eye-catching chair test, a Mirror for the clarification follows.
- The stool test can get Insured, for example, in the case of your family doctor.
The aim of Screening is that in the future fewer people will die of colorectal cancer. It is, according to the cancer society, the second most common cancer. In Germany, more than 33,000 men and more than 26,000 women are diagnosed per year. Significantly more than 20,000 people a year die of the consequences. It is in women the second most common cancer after breast cancer, among men is the third most common after lung and prostate cancer.
Risk Factors: Smoking, Obesity, Alcohol
Among the risk factors for colon cancer are Smoking, Obesity, low fiber diet, lack of exercise and regular consumption of meat and alcohol.
After the first invitation for the early detection of the Insured to get again with 55, 60 and 65 years, the appropriate Post office of your respective health insurance Fund.
The info brochures to quantify the possible advantages and disadvantages of early detection, the Insured can decide better, whether to accept the offer.
As an example, what happens with 1000 men over the age of 50 in the next 10 years:
- without early detection of seven developing colorectal cancer, two will die of it,
- with colonoscopy two to six are diagnosed with colorectal cancer, one dies, two treatment – requiring complications in the Mirror-especially bleeding, and more rarely circulatory problems or Intestinal openings
- Of 1000 men, less colon cancer, a sick-to-five-less, two complications in the study dies.
These calculations differ according to the age, gender and screening method. The info brochures you will find here.
The Federal Ministry of health must examine the decision of the Federal Joint Committee. Doctors and health insurance companies need to agree on the payment of physicians for the early detection, then the new rules should arrive for the Insured.
The Chairman of the Federal Committee, Joseph hedges, announced: “I’m going to insist that all technical issues can be quickly regulated that 1. April next year, the first wave of invitations can be sent.”